9.27.2009

ABA Therapy here we come!

I have been researching and reading as many books as I can get my hands on, about Autism. It's been difficult to try and figure out what steps to take next. But one thing has been prominent in my mind, and that is ABA. Hearing so many stories about other mother's and their journey's has led me to believe that using ABA, can really help children with Autism. ABA is Applied Behavioral Analysis. This is basically intense therapy. We have been receiving services through Regional Center (which is state funded), but it came in the form of a teacher coming into our home and having floortime with Ben. We hadn't seen any real results from this and I finally asked his case worker if we could look into getting ABA. There must have been a miss communication somewhere and she didn't even realize that Ben was Autistic! Crazy, but with our move and starting the program it just was never brought up, and so when I brought this to her attention she told me we would quickly stop having the teacher come into our home and get him started on ABA. What a relief! I knew something wasn't right, Ben never did well with the teacher, he had the hardest time playing simple games and puzzles and just didn't cooperate. It was always a struggle and I found myself thinking that he would never benefit from any of it. But little did I know, he needed more. And so, this week he starts a whole new. He will receive 44 hours a month of ABA, which breaks down into 10 hours a week. Oh my! We will be busy. But we are really excited for this next chapter, and to get Ben the help he needs to be the best person he can be.

I realize after this whole ordeal that I must be educated and know all about Autism. I need to be an expert on it, inside and out. It is not enough to just understand the disorder, but to become educated about new techniques, therapies, medications, etc. and learn from others and how they have battled it. We are so excited about what is to come. We hope that through this therapy, school, and his new GFCF diet...that he will someday play with others and have a conversation with us one day. Ben deserves so much and I want to make sure as his mother that I am fully aware of the things he needs to become an active citizen in society. I must be his voice and vessel to acquire those things he needs to accomplish that. We'll try and keep you all up to date on his progress and accomplishments in the future...it will be amazing to see =)

1 comment:

The Erbes said...

Hey Guys! I am so out of the loop! I had know idea what has been going on. You have an amazing outlook on what needs to be done! Ben is lucky to have you for his mom! When you did you guys realize or find out Ben had Autism? I don't know much about Autism, just that it can be very trying at times. We hope you guys are doing well! The Erbes